Lebanese cuisine is a delicious change from your routine monotonous meals. Take a break and prepare these easy-to-make spicy Lebanese koftes. Add toasted pitas, some sharp pickles, and a cooling tahini yogurt dip on the side, and the dinner is served.
Ingredients (For 8 pieces)
• British lamb mince with around 20% fat, 400 gm • British beef mince, 400 gm • Halved red onions, 2 • Crushed garlic cloves, 4 • Ground cumin, 1 tbsp • Ground Coriander, 2 tsp • Ground ginger, ½ tsp • Ground cinnamon, 1 tsp • Ground allspice, ¼ tsp • Cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp • Very finely chopped fresh parsley, a large handful
• Blend the red onions into a paste and squeeze out excess water as much as possible, using a clean J-cloth. • Take a large mixing bowl, put the minced meats first. Then add the squeezed onions, crushed garlic, and all other spices and seasoning.
• Mix well for 2-3 minutes. Knead the mince with your hand.
• Divide the marinated mixture into equal portions. Then make each portion into long sausage shapes around soaked bamboo or long metal skewers. Then cover the raw koftes and chill it for an hour.
• Heat the grill to a high temperature. Take a large foil-lined baking tray and lightly oil it. Lay the skewers on it. Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side. The meat can be griddled or barbequed also. The koftes should be completely cooked through in the middle, with a little charred outside. Take out and serve hot.
• Toasted pitta bread • Garlic yogurt tahini dip • Shredded white cabbage • Scorched green chilies/pickles • Chili sauce • Lemon wedges
• The mince can be prepared 24 hours ahead to prepare the dish in advance. Just keep it covered in the fridge, and be careful not to add salt, as it can toughen the meat. When you’re ready to cook, add the salt and mix it well before starts shaping.
• Don’t use super-lean mince. Lean mince may not cling to the skewers properly and the koftes can be dry once cooked.
• Rub some oil or melted butter on your palms before shaping the mince, to prevent the meat from sticking to your hands.